National survey of 800 dog and 800 cat owners scratches below the surface and reveals pet parents’ true feelings about their furry friends: 46 per cent would rather spend a day with their pet than their spouse/partner
BURLINGTON, Ontario, Aug. 27, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — PetSmart, Canada’s leading specialty pet retailer, released the results of its first-ever Pet Poll and found that if given a little extra time in the day, pet parents would just want to hang out with their pets. The nationwide survey of 1,600 Canadian dog and cat owners conducted by DART Insight also revealed that 46 per cent of pet parents would rather spend a day with their pet than their spouse/partner, and thoughts on attending a human/animal spa with their pet.
“The results tell a story about the strong bonds we have with our pets, how we treat them like our family or best friend and what we would do if we had more time with them,” said Andrew Kretz, senior manager marketing, PetSmart Canada. “PetSmart believes that the more time we spend with pets the better humans we become. With services like our e-commerce platform, PetSmart makes it possible for pet parents to quickly order online from anywhere, so they can spend more quality time with their fur baby.”
A closer look at PetSmart’s Pet Poll reveals:
- Caturday night parties: Male cat owners are more likely than female cat owners to put a costume on their cat and go to a pet-person party, with B.C. being the most likely province to take their cat out for a night on the town.
- Pet parents would rather be grounded: If given extra time in the day, Canadian pet parents agree that skydiving with their pet would be their last choice of activity – only three per cent of Canadians said they would consider it. Most popular activity? Doing whatever their pet loves to do!
- The love of the great outdoors: 72 per cent of all pet owners surveyed said they’d go on a cottage or camping trip with their pet (77 per cent dog owners and 69 per cent cat owners). In Atlantic Canada, 81 per cent of dog owners would go on a cottage or camping trip with their dog.
- Cat naps please! More than the rest of Canada, cat owners on the east coast (86 per cent) want to just hang out with their cat and do what their cat likes.
- Prairie relaxation: Albertans want to relax and have their pet with them while they do it – 26 per cent would take their dog to a human-animal spa and 27 per cent would take their cat.
The PetSmart Pet Poll was conducted by DART Insight. To obtain the full results of the poll visit http://dartincom.ca/polls/. To spend a little extra time with your fur baby, browse petsmart.ca to order all your pet’s essentials and have it delivered to your door with fast and free 1-2 day shipping, so you can plan that weekend camping trip or spa day with Fido!
A total of 1,600 pet owners were surveyed—800 dog owners and 800 cat owners. Using a Bayesian Credibility Interval, the national combined pet owner’s results are deemed to be accurate to +/- 2.8%, 19 times out of 20; dog and cat owners weighted to 800 sample each are deemed to be accurate to +/- 4.0, 19 times out of 20.
In Canada, PetSmart, Inc. is the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. At PetSmart, we love pets, and we believe pets make us better people. Every day with every connection, PetSmart’s passionate associates help bring pet parents closer to their pets so they, together, can live more fulfilled lives. This vision impacts everything we do for our customers, the way we support our associates and how we give back to our communities. PetSmart employs approximately 4,300 associates and operates more than 130 pet stores in Canada, as well as eight in-store PetSmart PetsHotel® dog and cat boarding facilities. The retailer provides a broad range of competitively priced pet food and products, as well as services such as dog training, pet grooming, pet boarding, PetSmart Doggie Day Camp™ and pet adoption. PetSmart and PetSmart Charities® of Canada work with more than 200 animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable pets into stores so they have the best chance possible of finding a forever home. Through this in-store adoption program and other signature events, PetSmart has facilitated more than 260,000 adoptions, more than any other brick-and-mortar organization.
Find PetSmart on Facebook: www.facebook.com/PetSmartCanada
See PetSmart on Instagram: @PetSmart
Follow PetSmart on Twitter: @PetSmart
See PetSmart on YouTube: www.YouTube.com/PetSmart
PetSmart homepage: http://www.petsmart.ca
Golin for PetSmart Canada
416-483-6225 ext. 3441